The Booger Pickin' Morons

We're not really morons, we just play one on TV. Ok, the TV part is not true. Take a little trip down a scary little road we like to call "the inside of my (our) head". We're like you, only maybe a little weirder. If nothing else, we can promise that you'll never know what might get said here... that's a real-deal promise.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Rant: Serving Sizes

Have you ever noticed that whomever makes up the 'serving sizes' on food containers is a little wacked? It's something that fascinates me constantly.

For example, I bought a vegan cookie yesterday at the store. Individually wrapped and way too expensive, but what the heck, right? It says 190 calories. Ok, not great, but good for me - or as good as any cookie can be. So I get it. I see now that the cookie, which is large but fits in my hand, has 190 calories per serving! And there are two servings in the cookie. In ONE friggin' cookie. Seriously. C'mon people. They are individually wrapped! ONE cookie = one serving. But, they know that if they put on the actual calories people won't buy them, right? Right! Racket.

Then there is the cereal in my cabinet. I've been well aware of this for awhile, but thought it was interesting. There are 12 servings in the box at 110 calories per serving (without milk). Great, right? Wrong. Each serving is 3/4 of a cup. C'mon when was the last time your cereal bowl had only 3/4 of a cup? Unless you mix it with yogurt or something, but a regular ole bowl of cereal with 3/4 of a cup. You have to be kidding!

I know we eat too much in this country, but make serving sizes be for humans, not birds! Let us know exactly how many calories we are really eating. Do not sugar coat it! This is where we all get into trouble (see cookie above - I'll eat it and I really shouldn't...). No wonder our country is obese. People look at calories, not always at serving sizes. Food companies know this and play to it.

The most outrageous serving size I've seen in a long time I found this week while traveling. I bought a water past security (which, by the way, was a huge amount of money, but the vendors have you since they know you can't bring in anything past security...but that's another rant). It was a brand I am not familiar with so I checked the panel to see if they added sodium (some waters do, which I find baffling....). They didn't. I also noticed that there were 0 calories, which is obvious. However, my eye strayed up to an actual number at the top (after seeing all the zeros). It was the serving size. Guess how many? Go ahead. Guess. It was an 8 ounce bottle. You know we are supposed to drink 3 of these a day to keep the doctor away, right? Or is that pounds? Whatever. So, you are thinking 1 serving, right? Nope. Two? Nope. THREE. That's right - three servings in this bottle that I downed in 20 minutes. There are no calories in the single serving bottle. Where do you come up with three? Seriously. CRAZINESS, I tell you. Who are these people making up the serving sizes? Who, I ask?!

That's my Sunday rant....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home