The Booger Pickin' Morons

We're not really morons, we just play one on TV. Ok, the TV part is not true. Take a little trip down a scary little road we like to call "the inside of my (our) head". We're like you, only maybe a little weirder. If nothing else, we can promise that you'll never know what might get said here... that's a real-deal promise.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Don't Get Me Started!

So Angie writes about serving sizes. Here we go. I'm doing the Weight Watchers Points stuff these days (9.2 lbs so far) and its ALL about portions. The thing is, we don't need any portion bigger than our fist - desserts included.

It is really frustrating to not get accurate portion sizes on the nutrition labels. If I can't get at least 1 cup of cereal at 2 g. of fiber in the bowl, game over. I get 20 points a day. I can justify the 3 points for 1 cup of cereal (Fruity Cheerios - Make with real fruit juice and 25% less sugar are my fave right now AND the girls think they're Fruit Loops) and 1/2 cup of milk. It's enough to get the metabolism going.

I will say that the portion problem is disgusting. Take any restaurant. You don't need 3 1/2 pounds of french fries. Super Size it? NO THANK YOU. I'm not just going to target McDonald's, take any restaurant. Most times, because of the bacon, dressing and cheese, salads aren't any better than just having a cheeseburger. Try having half a burger. That's my new trick. Gotta have it? Just have half of it. You get the flava and more times than not, I am pretty full from that comprimise.

There are these fruit drinks that I love. They're called Naked. There is one pound of fruit in every bottle. Wicked good, no sugar, super awesome healthy. My BFF who also is on WW, read the label, did the math and was ESTATIC because it came out to TWO points! Sadly, she did not read the entire label. It is FOUR points for the bottle. There are two servings in there. What a crock.

I agree that the industry is playing to us. We're smart enough to win this game. We are smart girls, Angie. Strong ones too. Take a low cal granola bar. Kudos has a Snickers one that is two points and the Chewy Granola Chocolate Chunk (90 calories bars) are both 2 WW points. Can't be that bad. They taste like money. Big fat money. I'm talking huge benjamins, baby.

Worse than that, folks, are the restaurants that don't give out their nutritional information. That REALLY rubs me the wrong way. Two that I'm aware of and won't frequent because of this fact is TGIFridays and Tony Roma's. I know a few sites that are awesome at getting even the hard to find restaurants and these two are nowhere to be found. I'm not even going to link their sites here. I know why they do it. They think that if they post them, us WW and other dieting people aren't going to go there. That's not true. If we know the points, we can plan accordingly, if we don't, we can't and therefore won't go. Dummies.

Ok. Big enough rant for you? Good start Angie.
ae

3 Comments:

  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Judith Aames said…

    Congrats on the lost weight, BK! Good for you.

    Right on with the portion size rants. It is a freakin' disgrace that the food folks want to be so disrespectful to us.

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger Annie Ehrenberg said…

    Yeah. That's what it is. Disrespect. You hit the nail right on the head, Judith. You always do.
    ae

     
  • At 6:42 AM, Blogger Angie Christie said…

    9 pounds??? WOW! Congrats!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home